For the February edition of our Minett Mash-up podcast, we stopped again at a cosy lodge along the Minett Trail, which runs through the Minett UNESCO Biosphere. This time we met Julia Ruhmann, an artist who is not only passionate about art, but also committed to our planet. We took her to so-called ‘Wikkelhouse’. If you want to know what this is, take a listen to our podcast.
Our Minett Location of the month:
Biergemer Kabaisercher in Bergem (Google maps : 49.52369289744354, 6.040437981625319)
About our guest:
Since childhood, Julia Ruhmann has been passionate about art. Imagination and creativity are simply part of her life. She studied communication design in Mainz and currenlty works as a Communication Designer for Youth4Planet in Luxembourg. Julia is committed to sustainability through her work for Youth4Planet and also as an artist. Every time she sells one of her works of art, part of the proceeds are donated to selected NGOs that are committed to protecting the environment and improving the quality of life in other parts of our planet. Protecting nature is not only an important element in Julia’s life, nature is also a central element in the artist’s creative process.
Top things we chatted about in this episode:
- Youth4planet Luxembourg : organisation founded in 2018 that empowers children and young people to use their smartphones as an educational tool
- Wikkelhouse : producer of the sustainable cardboard “Kabaisercher” built in the municipality of Monnerich for the Minett Trail
- Municipality of Mondercange : One of the eleven municipalities of the Minett UNESCO Biosphere
- Metzeschmelz : Former steelworks located in the municipalities of Esch and Schifflange. A new residential quarter will be built here.
- Metzeschmelz Cueva 2022 : A cultural project with local artists that revitalised the Metzeschmelz site during the European Capital of Culture Esch2022.
- Bâtiment4 : A “third place” managed by an independent collective consisting of associations and artists active on site.
- Théid Johanns : Artist from Esch who initiated the Cueva project.
- Waassertuerm Diddeleng : The watertower of the former steelworks in Dudelange. It is now an industrial monument where they have rolling exhibitions.
- Ginzebierg : Natura2000 site in the municipality of Dudelange, famous for the RTL television tower.
- Independent professional artist status in Luxembourg
- Believe Ranch and Rescue : Foundation working for the protection of abused horses
- Viva Con Agua : NGO working for global access to clean drinking water
- Heli’s Hunde Hilfe : Initiative for the protection and care of dogs in Egypt
- Target : NGO campaigning against female genital mutilation
- Ellergronn : Nature conservation centre managed by the Administration de la nature et des forêts (ANF). It is also the headquarters of the Minett UNESCO Biosphere
- Escher Déierepark : park with 25 different animal species at the Escher Gaalgebierg
- Dag an der Natur : A day in nature, a national initiative that also takes place annually in the Ellergronn.
- Zone Natura2000 « Vallée supérieure de l’Alzette » : Nature reserve between Esch-Lallange and Bettembourg, where the river Alzette was renaturalised about 20 years ago.
- White stork: Information on the white stork, which has been breeding in the area of the Bergemer Kabaisercher for 10 years.
- Dumontshaff : Nature reserve between Schifflingen and Bergem, where you can meet the white stork
- Schëfflenger Brill bird ringing station: A bird ringing station managed by the Centrale Ornithologique du Luxembourg (COL)
- Arc Kënschtlerkrees: an organisation made up of Luxembourgish artists, founded in 1959.
- Parc Merveilleux Bettembourg: animal and fairytale park in Bettembourg.
- COP: Climate Change Conferences of the United Nations.
- IFEN: Institute for the Continuing Education of Teachers in Walferdange.
If you want to know more about the concept of our podcast and the episodes, go to the project page. But there’s more news: We now have an Instagram account! Follow us @minettmashup and via our hashtag #minettmashup.
Here are some impressions from our day in Bergem:
A sneak peek into the Wikkelhouse
We chatted about art, activism and of course of the Minett region
In Bergem, three "Kabaisercher" are located side by side and can be booked separately.